The majestic manta rays are the largest of all rays and are on the international threatened species list. Enjoy our five favourite facts about mantas.
- Their underside markings are unique – like a person’s fingerprint.
- Mantas are amongst the largest fish in the ocean with a wing span of up to 7 metres and weighing up to two tonnes.
- Despite their size, manta rays are completely harmless to humans. They are filter feeders, eating the microscopic zooplankton that drift along in the ocean currents.
- Manta rays have the largest brain to body weight ratio of any living fish.
- The word manta is Spanish for ‘blanket’ and it’s easy to see why it got this name!
How you can help manta rays
If you’re lucky enough to spot a manta on the Reef and snap a photo of its underbelly, email your pic to the team at Project Manta to contribute to their ongoing research and monitoring program.